- Read our review guidelines
If you’re looking for a convenient place to purchase a valid fishing license, Walmart could just be the place.
With plenty of locations across the country – in every state – and convenient opening hours, Walmart can be handy for many people looking to venture into the great outdoors.
But before you head out, we thought we’d answer some of the Walmart fishing license FAQs you might be thinking about.
> The ultimate guide to fishing
Is It Possible To Get A Fishing License At Walmart?
It is possible to purchase a fishing license at a Walmart store in the United States. The Walmart stores that offer this service will usually be listed in the license vendor section of your state’s wildlife department website.
If your local Walmart doesn’t offer this service, you can usually buy the same kind of license online through your state’s wildlife department.
How much does a Walmart fishing license cost? The price you will pay will depend on what type of license you want to purchase, for example, whether it’s for 24 hours, a few days or even a year.
The Walmart fishing license price will also be dependent on which state you’re in and whether you’re a resident, as license fees are often more expensive for out-of-state residents than for residents.
> Catch more fish from your kayak
How Much Does A Walmart Fishing License (near me)?
A fishing license in a Walmart store will generally cost the same as it would in any other license issuing office. However, you may have to pay an issuance fee or processing fee at some store locations.
This is normally around 50 cents and is added on to the cost of the fishing license fees. Senior citizens may sometimes be able to get a discount on the licensing fees.
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Florida (FL)
- Resident Annual: $17
- Resident 5-Year: $79
- Non-resident Annual: $47
- Non-resident 3-Day: $17
- Non-resident 7-Day: $30
Licensing fees are the same for freshwater or saltwater fishing licenses but for a combo saltwater/freshwater fishing license it’s $32.50 for Florida residents. There is no charge for a Florida resident to saltwater fish from land.
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In North Carolina (NC)
- Resident Coastal Annual: $16
- Non-resident Coastal Annual: $32
- Resident Inland Annual: $25
- Non-resident Inland Annual: $45
- Resident Inland/Coastal Annual: $41
- Resident 10-Day Coastal: $6
- Non-resident 10-Day Coastal: $11
- Resident 10-Day Inland: $9
- Non-resident 10-Day Inland: $23
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Arizona (AZ)
- Resident Annual: $37
- Non-resident Annual: $55
- Resident Combo Hunt/Fish Annual: $57
- Non-resident Combo Hunt/Fish Annual: $160
- Resident Short Term Combo Hunt/Fish: $15 per day
- Non-resident Short Term Combo Hunt/Fish: $20 per day
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In South Carolina (SC)
- Resident Freshwater Annual: $10
- Non-resident Freshwater Annual: $35
- Resident 14-Day Freshwater: $5
- Non-resident 14-Day Freshwater: $11
- Resident Saltwater Fishing Annual: $15
- Non-resident Saltwater Annual: $75
- Resident 14-Day Saltwater: $10
- Non-resident 7-Day Saltwater: $35
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In California (CA)
- Resident Annual: $52.66
- Non-resident Annual: $142.05
- 1-Day Sport Fishing: $17.02
- 3-Day Sport Fishing: $26.49
- Non-resident 10-Day Sport Fishing: $52.66
California fishing licenses can be used for both saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing.
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Virginia (VA)
- County/City Resident Freshwater Annual: $16
- Resident State Freshwater Annual: $23
- Resident State Freshwater/Saltwater Annual: $39.50
- Resident Saltwater Annual: $17.50
- Resident 5-Day Freshwater: $14
- Resident 10-Day Saltwater: $10
- Resident 5-Day Fresh/Saltwater: $24
- Non-resident State Freshwater Annual: $47
- Non-resident Saltwater Annual: $25
- Non-resident 1-Day Freshwater: $8
- Non-resident 5-Day Fresh/Saltwater: $31
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In New Jersey (NJ)
- Resident New Jersey Fishing License Annual: $22.50
- Resident Trout Stamp: $10
- Non-resident Annual: $34
- Non-resident Trout Stamp: $20
- Non-resident 2-Day: $9
- Non-resident 7-Day: $19.50
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Indiana (IN)
- Resident Fishing Annual: $17
- Trout/Salmon Privilege: $11
- 1-Day (with trout/salmon): $9
- Non-resident Annual: $35
- Non-resident 7-Day: $20
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Texas (TX)
- Resident Freshwater Annual: $30
- Non-residents Freshwater Annual: $58
- Resident Saltwater Annual: $35
- Non-resident Saltwater Annual: $63
- Resident All-Water: $40
- Non-residents All-Water: $68
- Resident 1-Day All-Water: $11
- Non-residents 1-Day All-Water: $16
Cost Of A Walmart Fishing License In Illinois (IL)
- Resident Annual Fishing Licenses: $15
- Non-resident Annual: $31.50
- Non-resident 3-Day: $15.50
- Trout Stamp: $6.50
- Salmon Stamp $6.50
How Do I Get A Fishing License At Walmart?
To purchase a fishing license at Walmart you will need to go into your nearest store, as you cannot currently get a license online (as each state is different).
The Sports and Outdoor department within Walmart should be able to issue you with your fishing license.
You will need to bring your photo ID with you, regardless of whether you’re a resident or not. If you’re a state resident you will also need to bring proof of residency, such as a utility bill, if this is not already indicated on your ID.
> Setting up a fishing pole: Our guide
What Time Can I Get A Walmart Fishing License? How Late Can I Go?
Just like each state is different, each Walmart is also different and the operating hours will differ depending on the store, so there’s no definitive answer to how late you might be able to go.
It can be best to check with your local store to make sure they can issue a fishing license at the particular time that you want to buy one.
It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to purchase a fishing license around the clock. In most cases, it will usually depend on having a trained member of staff on hand to issue the license in the outdoors section. And during overnight hours, there may be limited staff in the sports department.
Walmart can be a useful store for purchasing your fishing license so you can keep fishing legally.
No matter what state you’re in, you should be able to find a Walmart location nearby that can issue you a state fishing license. But it’s always a good idea to check with your state wildlife department, as well as with your local Walmart to make sure they offer that service.
Alternatively, you may be able to purchase a license online through your state wildlife department if your local Walmart doesn’t issue them.
If you want to let others know how easy it can be to get a fishing license, share this article. Have you bought your fishing license from your local Walmart? Let us know!
You might also like:
9 thoughts on “Can I Get A Fishing License At Walmart?”
How much is ocean fishing license on a party boat for 1 day at Bodega Bay in California? Thanks much
about $20 per day according to https://wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing
I need to know how much a replacement fishing license would cost when a license is lost or stolen
about $13 in California. not sure about other states.
Where to get the truck parking tags so not to get ticket.
Can i still purchase a licensa during Covid-19
I’m a veteran canine get a free fishing license there ?
How much fishing license cost for a day?
for California it is about $20.